Saturday, February 28, 2009

Prepared Childbirth Class

Today we went to our prepared childbirth class. We got off to a tough start because the building seemed to be hiding from us....we weren't late or anything, but we definitely got a tour of the same 5 blocks over and over for about 10 minutes. So--we went back and forth about taking this class because 1) it costs money and 2) neither of us was looking forward to talking about my cervix, vagina, mucus, etc. We eventually decided it would be a good idea....well, I told Kyle it would be a good idea and he agreed to behave himself in the class, so we were off to the races.

We talked about all the big stuff (my personal favorite was the pain meds part, but that is neither here nor there). We got to see and touch all the "intervention" equipment....did you know that they can place an internal fetal heartbeat monitor by snagging the blood vessels on the baby's head? Weird.

I feel like we are a bit more prepared for the big day....but I am really really hoping to labor at home for as long as possible. I am not real excited about being poked and prodded by the medical staff for hours on end. Since the hospital is so close (5 minutes...max, with traffic) I think we will try to hang out at home until Kyle gets tired of hearing me whine. We did some little exercises in class to help alleviate pain and I actually think they might help, so I am glad that we did the course. Kyle was not real excited about the overabundance of unattractive people engaged in full frontal nudity in the videos, but I can honestly say that it could have been worse....not much, but still.

All is well on this end. We are going to put some of the nursery stuff together this weekend and should be able to post some pictures of the nursery in the next week or so.

No comments: